Tango-Tiger

Forum
Aktuelle Zeit: Fr 29. Mär 2024, 10:52

Alle Zeiten sind UTC

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Packers’ Clay Matthews & Mike McCarthy react to rou
BeitragVerfasst: Do 10. Jan 2019, 04:02 

ghing penalty with anger Youth Mike Daniels Jersey , confusion For the third time in three games, Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews was penalized for roughing the passer. For the second week in a row, the play drawing the flag has become a flashpoint for NFL players, coaches, fans, and referees regarding the league’s rules around protecting quarterbacks.In week two’s game against the Minnesota Vikings, Matthews was called for roughing the passer when he hit quarterback Kirk Cousins. Referee Tony Corrente said that he threw a flag for an illegal “scoop-and-pull” technique, for which he also penalized Vikings linebacker Eric Kendricks earlier in that game. This week, Matthews sacked Alex Smith, bursting off a block and hitting Smith in the shoulder. Matthews’ momentum carried his body weight onto Smith, which was apparently the action worthy of penalty.This is a new rule in the NFL, despite referee Craig Wrolstad’s comments to the contrary to media after the game. Complicating matters, Wrolstad did not flag a far more egregious hit on the previous series, when Da’Ron Payne picked up Aaron Rodgers and body-slammed him to the turf. Wrolstad apparently was picked up on his microphone saying that he “couldn’t see through 14 guys.”Regardless of the inconsistent application of roughing the passer rules, players and coaches are upset about what is being considered a penalty in the first place. Packers head coach Mike McCarthy was livid on the sideline after the flag was thrown, and was spotted screaming at the official nearest him. After the game, McCarthy stood by his initial feelings, saying “I thought Clay did exactly what he’s supposed to do there.”McCarthy continued on to elaborate why he felt that Matthews’ hit was within the rules: “He hit him with his shoulder, he’s coming full speed off of a block, he braced himself. I was fine with what Clay did there.” However, that was the extent of McCarthy’s comments on the matter, saying that questions about the intent of the rule should be asked of “other people,” presumably in the NFL officiating department.Matthews himself, however Youth Kenny Clark Jersey , was much more willing to address the rule itself after the game.He spoke at length with reporters, clearly upset about yet another flag that he seemed entirely incapable of avoiding. “Obviously I don’t agree with it again,” Matthews said. “(Like) last week, I thought I hit the quarterback correctly. (My) head was to the side again, (I) wrapped him up. You see as soon as I hit the ground I try to put my hands up. Obviously when you’re tackling a guy from the front, you’re gonna land on him. “I understand the spirit of the rule, I said that weeks prior. But when you have a hit like that, that’s a football play.”Matthews even went on to say that he talked to Alex Smith after the game, asking him what he could have done differently on that hit. Predictably, Matthews said that Smith told him there was nothing he could have done, and simply “That’s a football play.” That response echoes Aaron Rodgers’ comments from after the Vikings game, when the Packers quarterback said that he “couldn’t believe there was a penalty” on the Kendricks or Matthews hits.Ultimately, Matthews went a step farther on Sunday, however, calling out the NFL entirely. “Unfortunately this league’s going in a direction I think a lot of people don’t like,” he said. “I think they’re getting soft. The only thing hard about this league is the fines that they levy down on guys like me that play the game hard.” He added that as a pass-rusher, he feels that the only option now is to not bother hitting the quarterback at all, saying “you just have to attack the ball.”Ultimately, the officials aren’t giving Matthews, or other pass-rushers, much leeway here to make those “football plays” that players — including quarterbacks — feel are a normal part of the game. It’s lessening the enjoyment of the game for those playing it, as well as for those watching it when plays that do not appear to be unnecessary injury risks are being legislated out of the sport.Packers’ tight ends flashed with “back-to-basics” 12 and 11 offensive packages If anyone felt the impact of the Green Bay Packers’ tight ends in the first half on Thursday night, it was Terrell Edmunds.The Pittsburgh Steelers’ rookie safety was no match on a red zone jump ball pass to Jimmy Graham. He later wiffed on a cut from Lance Kendricks after a quick pass in the flat. Chalk it up to rookie mistakes if you will, but the Packers’ offense was rolling and exposing the Steeler defense out of the “11” and especially the “12” personnel groups on the first three series of the game.In the offseason http://www.thepackersfootballauthentic.com/mason-crosby-jersey-authentic , Head Coach Mike McCarthy coined the phrase “back-to-basics” when describing the return of Offensive Coordinator Joe Philbin to the Green Bay offense. In its 2018 almanac, Football Outsiders certainly provided a few eye-popping stats from a season ago that would encourage Green Bay to take that approach, specifically with the tight ends. Green Bay played from the “11” package (one running back, one tight end) on 64% of plays, with a 11.2% DVOA. This was by far the Packers’ most-used personnel group.The Packers played from the “12” package (one running back, two tight ends) on just 11% of plays, but had an excellent success rate (21.9% DVOA). Green Bay was incredibly balanced with a nearly 1:1 run-pass ratio.No other packages produced a positive DVOA for the offense, with the “20” leading to an astronomically awful -40.1% DVOA. As FO highlighted, “the Packers went without a tight end on 6.7% of plays, which was tied for second in the NFL. But this was not a good idea. The Packers averaged a miserable 2.7 yards with -53.5% DVOA on these plays.”From the first offensive possession, the return to basics proved lethal. After the Packers signed Marcedes Lewis in May, APC’s Tex Western imagined the possibilities for the Packers to run two tight end sets in creative ways to take advantage of its newest receiving weapons. On Thursday, the effects not only assisted those tight ends, but its number one wide receiver.Curiously missing since Philbin’s last Packer stint has been the inside slant that made players like Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, and Jordy Nelson home-run threats. The play was drawn forth from the shadows on the second play of the game as Aaron Rodgers connected with Davante Adams, who lined up in the slot, for a 27-yard gain deep into Steelers territory. It was a play from the 12 package, one in which the prized free agent Graham was put on the line with all other skill position players split wide including Kendricks and Jamaal Williams. And it certainly split the Steelers’ defense wide open with the ball in the hands of Green Bay’s best running threat after the catch.The Packers’ first drive took just five plays to score, with the Packers running out of the 12 four times. Green Bay’s lone other play came from the 11, a scoring strike to Graham. The big-bodied weapon immediately created a mismatch while lined up in the slot and scored on a brilliantly designed play that isolated him with Edmunds in the left-center of the end zone. Last year, Green Bay had few threats that could pluck a ball out of the air in such a location. But the former basketball player Graham, with a 6’6” frame, long arms Youth Kevin King Jersey , and a strong vertical jump, was easily able to soar up and put points on the board.On the second offensive series of the ballgame, the Packers continued to use the 11 and 12 packages. Over a 10-play drive led by Brett Hundley, Green Bay utilized its 11 set seven times, taking advantage of Graham lined up alone on the boundary. In a position Nelson would have normally been in a year ago, Graham instantly became a matchup nightmare in one-on-one coverage. And even when not lined up outside, the Packers again found a way to isolate him, this time with a linebacker who had no chance in coverage. It drew a downfield pass interference call midway through the drive. Employing a 12 package on the other three plays of the possession, the Packers relied on Lewis primarily as a run blocker while Hundley dinked-and-dunked down the field for an efficient five-and-a-half minute drive ending in a field goal.The third offensive series of the game also proved fruitful with the tight ends. Lining up in 12 personnel for four out of five plays (21 personnel for the lone other), the Packers’ tight ends made Pittsburgh pay on back-to-back plays. On the first, Hundley connected with Lewis on a 23-yard seam down the right hash. Like Graham before, Lewis’s size and reach stood out as he elevated for a catch that would have been hard to defend even if well-contested. Immediately after that play, Hundley hit Kendricks in the flat, only to cut away from Edmunds and run down the sideline for 15 yards to get into the red zone. Carving up the defense with two significant gains, the tight ends again helped pave the way for a touchdown drive.The final tally for the Packers’ personnel on the first three drives of 20 total plays was 11 snaps from the “12” personnel and eight plays from the “11.” Green Bay used the packages that they executed best a year ago and sprinkled in their newest targets at a position that underachieved last season. Graham and Lewis were used in the slot, on the outside, and on the line. Kendricks added the extra H-back dimension on several occasions. The Packers did not face a third-and-short or very long on those three drives which could have resulted in various other personnel. But the dominant usage and creativity of formations within the two popular packages was a welcome sign for an offense that tended to stall quickly in recent seasons. Furthermore, the additional production from Kendricks and the emerging Robert Tonyan later in the game showed the tight ends may once again be featured with more frequency and, better yet, be a force to be reckoned with under McCarthy and Philbin this season.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC